HIPAA Security Risk Analysis: The First Step To Full Compliance
According to HIPAA, covered entities – that’s you! – must ensure appropriate safeguards are in place to protect ePHI.
So, how does a Las Vegas area healthcare organization like yours meet this requirement?
A risk analysis must be conducted to identify and implement the appropriate safeguards.
As you can imagine, in-depth healthcare IT assessments are quite involved.
In fact there are Nine Essential Elements that make up an effective analysis.
It’s not something that can be done effectively by common computer repair technicians.
A HIPAA security risk analysis needs to be done by a company that has deep experience in serving the IT of the healthcare sector.
Who do we recommend?
We have Heroes for that!
There are 9 essential elements to incorporate into a risk analysis:
- Scope of the Analysis: Review all ePHI created, received, maintained, or transmitted by your organization.
- Data Collection: Gather and document the data on ePHI gathered using the methods above.
- Identify and Document Potential Threats: Identify and document any potential threats and vulnerabilities associated with ePHI.
- Assess Current Security Measures: Assess and document the current security measures used to protect ePHI.
- Determine the Likelihood of Threat Occurrence: Consider the likelihood of potential risks to ePHI.
- Determine the Potential Impact of Threat Occurrence: Consider the impact of potential risks to confidentiality, integrity, and availability of ePHI.
- Determine the Level of Risk: Analyze the likelihood of threat occurrence and the resulting impact to determine the level of risk.
- Finalize Documentation: Document the risk analysis from beginning to end.
- Review and Update the Risk Assessment: Update and document the risk analysis process on a regular basis.
Once our Heroes have conducted a risk analysis, we will start implementing appropriate security measures to protect ePHI and mitigate the risk of a security breach.
These security measures are tailored to your system and will range from two factor authentication and encryption to a robust firewall and antivirus solution.
The great thing about our Heroes is that they don’t simply do an assessment, setup your security, and then walk away…
We provide full-menu healthcare IT management and maintenance for an easily budgeted monthly fee.
What does that mean?
Healthcare IT compliance experts on call.
All your IT optimized for compliance and efficiency.
The confidence to leave the computer and spend your valuable time with your patients!
Let’s get you started! HIPAA compliance begins with a security risk analysis.
Contact us at 702-252-HERO or send us an email at email@example.com.