A Look at How They Work, What’s Included, And More
Co-managed IT services allow you to leverage a hybrid approach that involves some tasks being managed internally while others are handled by a third-party – a managed services provider (MSP) to be specific. In this article, we’ll look at how co-managed IT services work, what’s included, and why they’re more valuable than hiring even MORE staff members.
How do co-managed IT services work?
Essentially, an MSP gives your internal IT person or department a helping hand. They offer additional skill-sets, experience, and expertise to help you make sure everything is getting done and nothing falls behind. It’s not about replacing or taking over your internal IT person or department’s job, it’s about augmenting what they’re currently doing. You gain access to an entire team of experts for a flat-rate monthly fee who will provide:
- More expertise in areas that your internal people may be lacking, such as cybersecurity or cloud consulting.
- Access to better pricing and discounts on equipment through partnerships with some of the top manufacturers.
- A foundation for success with tried-and-true processes, procedures, and systems in place.
- Enterprise-grade tools and technologies that may be difficult to get your hands on otherwise.
What’s included in co-managed IT services?
It all depends on what you need. For some, they prefer to have their internal IT person or department handle the day-to-day tasks while they outsource the rest. For others, they prefer to have their internet IT person or department handle more strategic initiatives while they outsource the rest. You can choose to have your MSP help wherever you see fit.
Here are a few day-to-day tasks they can assist you with:
- Around-the-clock remote monitoring
- Regular maintenance
- Data backups
- Help desk services
Here are a few strategic tasks they can assist you with:
- Network design and implementation
- Cloud services
- Technology planning
- Digital transformation
Regardless of what you need, it’s a partnership where you benefit from a customized set of services at a flat-rate monthly fee.
What’s the difference between co-managed IT services and managed IT services?
Co-managed IT services:
- You keep your internal person or team.
- Shares responsibility with your internal person or team.
- Frees your internal person or team up for innovation.
Managed IT services:
- You don’t have an internal person or team.
- Assumes responsibility entirely for your technology.
- Able to act as your virtual chief information officer for innovation.
As you can see, both options are equally valuable. However, if you already have an internal person or department and you’re happy with them, but they could use a helping hand, co-managed IT services simply makes the most sense.
Why choose co-managed IT services instead of hiring more people?
Many businesses think hiring more people will resolve any challenges happening with their internal IT person or department, but typically, any challenges happening are actually the result of a lack of enterprise-grade tools, defined processes, and experience in various areas of management. You might have incredible technicians with a ton of knowledge, but they don’t have the ability to automate, streamline, and optimize the way your technology is managed the way an MSP does.
How to get started with co-managed IT services
Network Heroes strives to help small businesses grow and prosper, and in many cases, co-managed IT services are an essential aspect of ensuring a reliable, secure infrastructure that makes this happen. We offer complete IT services, cloud solutions, and of course, co-managed IT services throughout Las Vegas.