Healthcare IT Consulting & Healthcare IT Support in Las Vegas, NV
IT support services and security are vital to protecting medical information and keeping your system updated and running smoothly. Being in the medical field you can’t simply rely on any type of IT service provider, but instead, need one that is designed to service healthcare facilities to allow you to meet the needs of your business as well as your patients. So the question becomes what do I need to look for in a service provider for my healthcare facility and what type of services should they offer?
Thorough Risk Assessment Services
The HITECH, or Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act, imposes severe penalties for healthcare facilities that don’t adopt an electronic filing of medical records. Healthcare facilities and practitioners can gain government funding for implementing EHR, electronic health records, as long as they are in compliance with a strict set of rules. To make sure you are in compliance, you will need to find an IT company that knows the requirements and can supply you with a risk assessment to find areas and issues that need to be rectified.
A properly done risk assessment will include analysis of all computers, devices, and media that are connected to the system including laptops and other remote log-in devices. Your assessment should include:
- Data collection of all documents and secure information on the system.
- Identification of all potential threats or vulnerability.
- An assessment of the current security measures that are already in place.
- A determination of the likelihood a threat will occur as well as the impact a threat could have.
- Determining necessary updates and documentation of procedures that staff should be made aware of and trained in.
- Ongoing reviews and updated assessments.
HIPPA Compliant Medical Data Security
One of the most important responsibilities of your healthcare facility is maintaining and protecting your patients’ protected health information. As the use of electronic medical records continues to increase, so does the risk of data breaches from both ransomware and other forms of cybercrime. This means you will need an IT service provider that can provide reliable protection for your healthcare facility or clinic 24 hours a day to prevent a breach.
Reliable Backup Systems and Support
HIPPA compliance requires all medical facilities to not only have a reliable backup system but to also have easily retrievable copies of all protected electronic health information. They also require that the storage is handled in a specific way and has the required encryption to ensure the security of the data. Failure to do so could not only result in fines for violations of HIPPA regulations but also create a lack of trust with your patients.
Loss of data can also be devastating to your operation and can occur due to a number of unpreventable events such as power outages, natural disasters, cybercrime, and even errors made by your staff. To avoid loss of data, and the devastation that it can be to try to recreate, you will need to use an IT service provider that can provide you with a reliable backup that can be restored quickly and easily. Backup solutions can include onsite backups to storage devices such as hard drives and DVDs or offsite backup services to a secured location off the premises. Ideally, a combination will provide you with the best protection as well as provide you with the fastest restore option.
Appropriate Safeguard Implementation Designed For Healthcare Facilities
IT services include more than backing up data and monitoring security breaches and cybercrime. It also involves putting systems and safeguards in place to lower your facility’s risk of a breach. An IT company knowledgeable in healthcare services will implement security safeguards on your system such as:
- Multi-step authentication for anyone accessing protected health information remotely
- Enforcement of termination of a session when accessing protected health information from remote or portable devices that have become inactive.
- The installation of a consistent updating of anti-virus, firewalls, and ransomware software on all devices that will be accessing any patient protected health information.
- The encryption of protected health information that is stored on any device.
- Strong password protection on all devices that might be accessing the system.
- The development of specified roles and access for those remotely access any information considered private or protected.
- The implementation of strong encryption when any protected health information is being transmitted or shared.
Services That Work Well With Your Current Software and Applications
Healthcare facilities utilize a number of software programs such as eMD’s. Chart Logic, Dentrix, and many other record keeping and tracking software. When choosing an IT provider, it is essential that they are knowledgeable in these applications and they can provide software to help protect them without disrupting or interfering with aspects of the software required for use.
The bottom line for healthcare facilities looking for healthcare IT support is that they need to utilize a provider that is not only knowledgeable but provides the necessary services they need to protect their systems, have a reliable backup system, and stay in compliance with HIPPA regulations every step of the way.